Tuesday 21 October 2008

planes, trains and automobiles...

Fridays are always murder on the show and I am usually fried by 6:00 pm.  

Last Friday I was ready for a relaxing journey to Paris, all set for the fast train out of St. Pancras.  Unfortunately, I wasn't traveling on Eurostar.  I had found a deal on Easyjet, a cheap flight to Paris from London Luton.

Luton turns out to be fairly remote (I think it is somewhere in Wales) so I left well ahead of my 7:00 pm flight time.  I got on the Picadilly line out of Hammersmith at 4:30.  Made pretty good time to Kings Cross where I switched onto a Midlands train after a 20 minute wait, and made my way out to Luton.  

This was a very slow commuter train and I started to get worried.  The train finally pulled into Luton Airport Parkway at 6:15 and I found the shuttle bus to the airport.  Of course, the bus broke down.  We switched to another bus which trudged uphill to the airport.  

Now it was 6:30 and I still had to clear security.  The woman checking passports took pity on me and let me jump the queue, scolding me for being so late.  After I got through the metal detectors, I sprinted to the gate...it was just closing.  6:40.  I was the last one on the plane.

The flight was a quick 50 mins.  But I still had 30 mins on the RER train to Gare Du Nord, 3 metro stops to Republique and a 10 min walk to Rue Charlot.  It took just about everything I had to make it up the five flights of rickety wooden stairs to our flat!

Ugh!  Never again.  It's Eurostar only from now on.

D was looking cute in his sweatpants and wife beater...and he even had on his sexy black jockstrap underneath.  He made me forgot about the planes, trains and automobiles pretty quick.

No comments: